Saturday, May 31, 2014

DVD Review: GRAND PIANO (2013)

GRAND PIANO (2013) 
Label: Magnolia Releasing
Rating: R

Region Code: 1 NTSC
Audio: English 5.1 Dolby Digital
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen (2:.40:1) 
Director: Eugenio Mira
Cast: Elijah Wood, John Cusack, Kerry Bishe

Grand Piano (2013) is exactly the kind of thriller my wife loves and enjoys on a regular basis, the simple premise features a famous concert pianist under the watchful eye of a sniper in front of a sold out audience. The pianists fingers hold the key to a treasure hidden inside the storied piano he performs on, only he can unlock it by flawlessly playing an apparently difficult piece of music. Wood was fantastic in the Maniac remake and he doing fine work here as the neurotic pianist but as mentioned previously this is just not fare suited to my tastes.  I was pleased by the promise of John Cusack as the sniper but truth be told more a voice for about ninety-five percent of the film and and what we do see of him left me not exactly wanting more. 

Not an awful film by any definition of the word, I just found the premise to be a bit on the familiar side and middle of the road for my tastes. I think I was hoping for Argento's Opera meets Phone Booth but it was pretty much Phone Booth with a piano. A decent rental with the wife but not something I would return to again. 3 Outta 5